Timelines will vary by student and must be approved by the thesis advisor.
Fall of the Junior Year
- Take WGSS 501 to develop research interests and an idea for your thesis.
- Enroll in other courses that let you develop expertise in this area.
Spring of the Junior Year
- Get to know faculty members who share similar research interests by enrolling in their courses or visiting them in office hours.
- Identify a professor willing to supervise the thesis.
- Inform the WGSS Honors Coordinator.
Fall Semester of the Senior Year
- Enroll in 3 credit hours of WGSS 498 or in an Independent Study of another department.
- Begin researching the thesis topic.
- Form a three-person faculty committee: the thesis advisor and two other faculty members, at least one of whom must be either in WGSS or serve as WGSS affiliate faculty.
Spring Semester of the Senior Year
- In consultation with your thesis advisor, enroll in 3 credit hours of WGSS 499, WGSS 601, or in an Independent Study of another department.
- Submit an Honors Intent Form by 1 March to College Advising and Student Services, 109 Strong.
- Finish the thesis and submit the thesis to committee.
- Have the committee vote to award Honors (or not), complete the Honors Certification Form, and inform the Honors Coordinator