Because we believe that our faculty and graduate students are the most critical resources in defining the quality of our graduate program, potential applicants are encouraged to correspond with the Director of Graduate Studies and, especially, to visit the campus to discuss their interests and the program with faculty and students.
The application for graduate study is available at https://graduate.ku.edu/apply. Applications for the Fall 2018 semester are due no later than January 1st, 2018. The admissions process is rigorous and requires a competitive application to be successful. The following components should be included in your online application:
- A statement of academic objectives describing your intellectual development, previous academic training, and areas of academic interest. The quality of this statement is an especially important factor in the decisions of our admissions committee The statement should be a maximum of two pages, single spaced.
- A resume/curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- One official transcript from all colleges attended
- GRE scores
- A sample of your written academic work (not to exceed 30 pages)
Additionally, international applicants should include TOEFL scores and proof of financial support. The admissions committee places great weight on the statement of academic objectives. Often, the committee is uncertain as to a student's interest in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and looks to the statement for guidance. An effective essay should explore the student's intellectual interests, why they are interested in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and future academic and career plans. Students must have at least a 3.0 grade point average in their previous academic work to be admitted to regular graduate student status. In exceptional cases, students with less than a 3.0 grade point average are admitted to the program on either a provisional or a probationary basis.
For more information about the application process for graduate study at the University of Kansas, please visit http://graduate.ku.edu/application-process.
Questions? Please contact our Graduate Academic Advisor, Megan Denison, at email@example.com